Can you drink too much kombucha?

Kombucha is all the rage these days as a cure for all kinds of gut or stomach issues, and it certainly has many benefits. But can you drink too much? What are some symptoms of too much kombucha?

Can you overdo the booch?

You can definitely drink too much kombucha, especially if you do not drink it regularly. Kombucha is highly acidic, so drinking too much kombucha can upset your stomach. It’s best to start with 6-8 ounces a day and then work your way up to double or triple that amount as your stomach acclimates to the acid.

Many people will thrive on fermented foods, but some people will experience bloating, nausea, or allergic reactions to kombucha. If you have heartburn, stomach ulcers, or a sensitive stomach, you should avoid acidic fermented foods. If you take medication, ask your doctor if drinking kombucha could have any negative reactions with the medicine.

Kombucha also has a small amount of alcohol, a fact that is not marketed well. So if you have religious restrictions against alcohol consumption, please be aware that commercial kombucha can contain up to 2% alcohol and homemade kombucha may have even more. I would recommend that pregnant women and children also avoid kombucha.

Contamination can be a harmful side effect of homemade kombucha, one that can even cause death. Unsterile equipment or a discretely moldy starter can introduce harmful bacteria to homemade kombucha. Over fermentation is also a risk. If you leave the starter in the batch for too long, it can result in a highly acidic kombucha that can damage your digestive system.

Leave a Reply